vrijdag 19 januari 2018

What's in a name



“There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made.”

J.R.R. Tolkien.



Coming out strong with a quote by a famous writer should mask the fact that I'm absolutely clueless about how to start this blog.

I suppose I'll start with a few basic questions..


Demogorgon, as sculpted by Charles Woods.
Aameul is that charming left head.



What's up with that blog name?
For the better part of the last 20 years, I've been a big fan of fantasy books and gaming. Boardgames, roleplaying games, miniature games, pc, console,.. take your pick, I've played 'em. I've always liked how authors and game-makers could present you with a whole new setting to immerse yourself in. Be the hero, or the villain. Do things you can't do in real life. It's an intriguing concept that's inspired countless movies, games, books,... over the years.

One paragraph in the blog, and I'm allready drifting... Back on topic now!

World of Warcraft, for me, started with a trial account and 2 characters to muck about with. Named after the 2 personalities of the Dungeons & Dragons demon prince Demogorgon, Aameul and Hethradiath (an Orc shaman and Hunter, respectively if you must know) were my stepping stone into online gaming. Eventually, Aameul would become my main character, and my nickname to my growing gang of gaming friends. That explains the first half of the blog's name.

I got inspired to start blogging my hobby exploits by one of my gaming friends from the UK. Just over a year ago, he started the wonderful
Varchilde's Vault where he tells of his varied gaming interests. Seeing as the Vault was taken, I needed another locale, which preferably sounds nice with the gaming moniker.
Not the most mind blowing tale of wonder, but hey...





Who am I anyway?
Introductions are always weird online, aren't they?

Nerd-alert! Me, my best man, and Mr. Varchilde himself enjoying some Warhammer 40.000  (and Belgian beers) the night before I got married.

I'm Matt. I live in Belgium. I'm a 30 year old married man. I play games. A lot of them too. As stated above, I like a fairly wide selection of games although 2 strongly stand out. Dungeons and Dragons, and Warhammer 40.000 have been a big part of my spare time for the last 15 years, and will probably make up a lot of the content that (hopefully) gets put up here.


Why should you bother reading my blog?



That's an easy one! Everyone clicking here automatically forfeits his or her eternal soul to Demogorgon!

Not buying that? Nah, me neither. In truth, I'm just a gamer who happens to like words. I hope to write down my ramblings and thoughts, ideas, maybe the occasional picture of my hobby exploits, for 3 reasons.
  1. to keep track of all the stuff I'm (supposedly) working on.
  2. to provide my view on different topics for other folks to discuss, inspire, discover,...
  3. to challenge myself. I've always liked writing, but often life will get in the way. My game plan here is to try and make the time to write a bit here.
We'll see how it all plays out...

In the meantime, welcome to the Armoury!
Aameul

3 opmerkingen:

  1. I'm not writing a reaction in Dutch (or West Flemish).

    Good luck with the blogging Aam! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I would love to see reports of fleeing space wolves named characters pls :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Intrigued as to who you are, but got the pictures. Write-up coming soon!

      Verwijderen