zaterdag 12 januari 2019

New year, new attempt?

Well hello again. Long time no see, and all that.

There's a certain irony in play if one's last blogpost is about staying focused, after which, for almost 10 months, I could't get my focus around writing another blogpost...

Anyone up for another try?

Short re-cap of the last 10 months of my hobby-life after the break y'all!




First off, welcome back. I hope the new year finds you all in good health and with increased hobby fervour!

So, that promissed short re-cap..


  • Writing blogpost about staying focussed
  • Dadhood! 
  • Horus Heresy gaming
  • Kicking Antwerp Ass
  • Kill Team
  • Adeptus Titanicus
  • Oh, there's 'regular' 40k too!
That's a bit too short isn't it... Yeah, I'll expand it some.

So, shortly after my last blogpost, I became a dad! Now proud father to a lively, joyfull son, who'll be 9 months old tomorrow. No, he hasn't played a game yet, but he did get a painting demo in our local GW! (He held a brush, and we could just about stop him from trying to eat said brush and the provided paints, but, with some support from store manager Kwintijn, he 'helped' painting a Garden of Morr) 

Managed to sneak in a few more games of our continuing Horus Heresy campaign during parental leave and the months before summer. I can safely say our campaign is forging a narrative all of its own, as by our results, my Wolves are probably back on Fenris, defending against invading Thousand Sons! Caused by a mixture of shoddy dice, equally shoddy lists (on my behalf) and my impressive tactical acumen (or lack thereof), my Wolves are jealously gazing upwards at the pile of campaign points Thor has acquired thus far. Phase 2 of the campaign is almost over. A pivotal moment in the story dawns upon us, as the Thousand Sons bring forward Canis Vertex, the mighty Titan standing guard over the Pyrae Temple.
Currently, our campaign is on hold, as Thor, my Thousand Son-playing companion has also become a dad! 



Last year, the managers of our closest GW stores (Ghent and Antwerp) decided on a Tale of 4 Warlords campaign. Each manager received extra command points to use in their games for every unit painted up by their store followers. With Antwerp having 3 managers, Kwintijn, 'our' manager (GW Ghent) seemed to be doomed to the role of underdog. Rallying our gaming buddies, the Ghent community get to painting like men (and women, we're inclusive like that in 2018 y'all!) possessed and managed to outscore the combined Antwerp managers. Finishing off the campaign was a massive Apocalypse battle where all models painted for the campaign were welcome to join in. Great fun was had, great moments shared, but in the end, the outcome was as fate had decreed.... Ghent won! 


July 21st of 2018 saw the release of Kill Team, a new expansion of the 40k universe, brought to the gaming table. Building on rules once released in GW's gaming magazine White Dwarf and reworked for their gaming events, Kill Team lets players use their models in skirmish scenario's, rather than the large-scale battles we're accustomed to. With a promised 18 months of heavy support and some posh new scenery kits, Kill Team took off very strong in our local community. With a lot of people more interested in painting and modelling, the GW Ghent store saw some really cool teams enter battle. As the Ghent store is fairly small (at least, for gaming purposes!), the smaller surface required allowed for more gaming to take place, and many were the commanders marshaling their forces for the 3 month campaign supported by GW headquarters.
I mostly played at home with another fellow hobbyist as Ghent is a fair distance from where I live. Using my Orks against his Space Wolves was great fun. My tactical acumen again saw me elevated to the 2nd place in our campaign (of 2 people, meaning I lost, unsurprisingly). As we both really like the game play of Kill Team, we set off with new teams for a new campaign which will probably end up with very similar results!

Didn't snap any Kill Team pictures, but here's a Slaaneshi Minotaur I started on...

Another top release from GW came in August. Veteran gamers (no, I'm not calling you old, guys!) will recall the gem that was Epic Armageddon where you fought battles with entire brigades of infantry and tanks, dwarfed by the might of the Titan Legions, enormous engines of destruction akin to walking battleships. Adeptus Titanicus returns to the hallowed days of the Horus Heresy (my love for this part of the Warhammer 40.000 setting should by now by pretty evident). Missing the original release of Titanicus (the stupendously good value Grand Master edition set sold out before we (Thor & myself) managed to order it), Titanicus seemed like a game we'd miss out on. It was only in November, when the we visited Crisis, Belgium's biggest (as far as I know) wargaming event in Antwerp that the Titanicus 'spark' reignited as Thor found not one, but several boxed sets in one of the stands there. The game is great, the models are AMAZING and we've not bought the last titan yet...

A Warlord Titan, flanked by his vanguard of Warhound Titans!
In between all of the above, I was lucky enough to introduce (no, we didn't make him sign his soul, he did that out of his own volition!) friend to the hobby! At first a 'mere' bystander for the Antwerp Apocalypse, our friend Sam was swiftly whisked away to icy Fenris to return as a Space Wolf enthusiast. With their new codex in hand, we played the occasional game of random 40k, where my more expansive collection and his genuine 'shit' dicerolls scored me the occasional win, which we both agreed, made up for my appalling win-loss ratio in our Kill Team games.


There we have it, a less than short re-cap.

Not a big fan of new year's resolutions as have a tendency to lose track of stuff (like writing blog posts!) like that, but I can tell you some of my plans for the coming year. Maybe a blog post next year will tell you how I fared, or just maybe, this time around I can actually stay focused...

I plan to 


  • Play games
  • Paint stuff
  • Have fun doing so
  • Complete the hobby bingo!


Hope you enjoyed that wall of text, and hopefully see you all again soon!


Aam out!






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten